Gynecomastia is a condition where men undergo an unusual development of breast tissue, leading to the appearance of a fuller chest. It is triggered by an imbalance in the hormones oestrogen and testosterone. This condition may affect both breasts at the same time. Below, the best cosmetic surgeon in Kolkata has discussed the diagnostic tests and surgeries that are performed to treat gynecomastia.
Before proceeding with any surgery, doctors typically conduct diagnostic tests to identify potential causes of gynecomastia. These tests also help in assessing the possibility of breast cancer. Diagnostic exams that are usually performed include:
- Blood tests.
- Mammograms – An X-ray of the breast.
- Computerised tomography (CT) scans – A series of X-rays from different angles.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans – An imaging test using a magnetic field and radio waves.
- Testicular ultrasounds – Utilising sound waves to create images of the testicles and surrounding tissue.
- Tissue biopsies- A procedure that involves removing a tiny piece of tissue for laboratory examination.
Types of gynecomastia surgery
Once diagnosed with excessive male breast growth, the next step involves exploring treatment options. There are three surgical approaches available for treating gynecomastia. We have discussed them below.
- Liposuction: This procedure involves the extraction of fat from the chest cavity, focusing on fat removal while preserving the gland tissue. A major benefit of this procedure is that it causes minimal scarring. It is important to note that this surgical method is most suitable for men with favorable skin elasticity and minimal glandular tissue.
- Excision: In this method, larger incisions are created in the affected area. Their specific pattern, length, and location are determined by factors such as chest size and the desired outcome. This surgical procedure is essential for effectively removing the firm glandular breast tissue. Excision effectively removes excessive glandular fat, tones and tightens the tissues, and gives a manly contour to the breast.
- Combination of both procedures: Surgeons commonly employ a combination of liposuction and excision to effectively eliminate unwanted tissue and fat. In cases where the weight and bulk of excess breast tissue contribute to sagging, pulling the nipple downward, there may be an associated stretching of the skin around the nipple (areola), leading to an enlarged appearance. In such cases, resizing and repositioning the nipple might be needed. This more invasive procedure necessitates extended healing time.
Who is eligible for gynecomastia surgery?
Anyone who is physically fit is suitable for gynecomastia surgery. Patients willing to opt for this surgery must fulfil the following conditions:
- No underlying health complications
- Not under any immune-suppressing medicines
- Does not consume nicotine and tobacco products
If you are dealing with gynecomastia and it’s affecting your self-confidence, you must consult the best cosmetic surgeon in Kolkata to get personalised guidance and address the issue.